Christmas might be a distant memory, and summer feels like forever away, but there’s plenty more to get excited about this year! Yes – we’re nerds and HR gets us excited and should be exciting for you too! Having a happy team with the best employees can mean your company has endless opportunities to flourish. So let’s get excited about HR and see what our predictions are for 2019.
HR Trend 1: Recruiting the best staff for your business.
Recruiting can be like mining, it’s hard work and time consuming but it’s worth it when you find a rare gem.
No matter what trade or business you are in, your staff are the most valuable asset. It’s important to make sure your team are the right fit – not only for you, but for them too.
- Create a clear role and identify what is absolutely essential in terms of the skills, experience and qualifications for that role. Include as much detail as you can and even include boring bits!
- Make your recruitment process more robust by adding different styles of interview and testing. We’re not talking about crazy team building exercises, but maybe a practical element or test of some sort. If the candidate is telling you that they could write the best blog posts for you, give them a brief and ask them to write one.
- The recruitment process does not end when the contract is signed. Spend time on the induction and training process to ensure your employee has a good start – this can make a big difference to employee retention.
HR Trend 2: Getting great performance out of your employees.
- So you have built up your business, seen your ideas flourish and are now able to employ a team. How do you make sure you can get the best out of those team members?
- Appraisal and reviews – regular appraisals and feedback allows everyone to see what page they are on and encourages good performance.
- Build on an employee’s strengths – is there a specific skill that your employee excels at, or something they enjoy? See what training can be implemented – this will motivate your team and help your company growth.
- Match strengths with a role – having a good clear role profile at the start helps fit the right person for the job and ensures expectations are managed.
- Giving praise for great performance can never be underestimated. Make sure you take time to recognise excellent work and effort.
- Tackle poor performance straight away and ensure issues are nipped in the bud well before they become a problem.
HR Trend 3: Ensuring happiness at work.
Impossible – surely! How can you ensure every member of your team is happy in their job all the time? Everyone has an off-day but there are things you, as an employer, can do to boost team morale and spread a little happiness.
- Talk to your team about what would make them happier at work – emphasise that this can be a joint commitment with the company taking some action and employee also taking action.
- Take a good look at the culture of the organisation, the environment that employees work in, team structure, flexibility and your mission and values – all impact on happiness.
- Consider small gestures that can mean a lot for an employee – have the company foot the bill for the next staff drinks night or give a surprise extra day’s holiday.
- It goes without saying that how you treat staff will impact on their happiness. Everyone deserves fairness and respect, no matter what their role or position. Ensuring your staff feel valued and respected will make a big difference.
- Acknowledge and recognise achievement. Recognising when an employee has done something well will not only improve productivity but boost morale.
- Spend time on building your team – team members who get on and work well together will be happier, more productive and more likely to stay with you long term.
If you require any HR support within your business, Sapience HR would love to help. Just give us a call on 01736 399384.